If you are on Facebook at all, you may have noticed a lot of runners posting about this year's Runner's World Run Streak. The goal of the streak is to run at least one mile per day for the 37 days between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. The purpose of the streak is to keep you moving through the holidays. Runners are encouraged to post their runs and hashtag them on FB, IG, and Twitter. It's a tradition that RW has been hosting for the past couple of years.
This is one tradition I'll be taking a pass on.
You know I love to run. Sure, I've Turkey Trotted the last couple of years. I run on Christmas Day and on New Year's Day. Last year I ran in the Underground Polar Express run and I'll be doing that one again. I'm not above running traditions. But run every single day during the holiday season? Actually during any season?
|Karen, me, Penny, and Michelle at last year's Underground Polar Express|
But I've got a few reasons not to streak.
1. I'm prone to injury. Right now I'm battling plantar fasciitis. And yes, it's painful. It doesn't hurt when I run, but it hurts like hell when I'm done. Taking a day or 2 off between runs really helps it calm down. I probably shouldn't be running at all, but heck, it's PF, and it is what it is. But a daily run probably wouldn't be my friend.
2. It's cold this time of year, and getting dressed to head out the door for a run would probably take longer that running the actual mile. I just don't think I could swing it on those days that I'm at work for 9 hours. Sure, I could run on the treadmill. Sure.
3. I don't need any more incentive to run. I run 4 days per week, and I rarely miss a run. But I bet I'd start to feel pretty burnt out running every day!
4. The extra laundry would put me over the top. I have teenage boys, remember, and their laundry baskets get filled if a shirt touches their body for even a minute. Add to that 7 running outfits? Ayyy.
5. Not that I care what people think, but my neighbors already think I'm nuts. Although Mrs. Kravitz would certainly be on top of neighborhood happenings!
To those of you streakers out there, I bow down to you. Your devotion and tenacity is admirable. But for me? Streaking just isn't going to be one of my holiday traditions.
Do you streak? What has been your longest running streak? Are you in the Chicago area? You should consider the Underground Polar Express Run, which benefits the Batavia Suicide Prevention Services. It's a great cause and a really fun day.
I'm linking up with DebRuns for Wednesday Word, which this week is Tradition. I thought about writing about our family's Christmas traditions, but as the boys are moving through their teenage years, a lot of our traditions have gone by the wayside. Getting them to participate in any decorating or baking is like pulling teeth. It's not fun and makes me sad, and I didn't think it would make a great blog post! Plus this is a running blog after all...